How to plan and run successful meetings.
YOUR FIRST MEETING:
Your first Fashion Club meeting is all about getting to know everyone and sharing your club plan. Pass out name tags and business cards, which you can find under the Fun Printables section. Be sure to have each of your members register online as an official Fashion Club member. All members must do this each year they’re in Fashion Club. To register their membership for the year, they must go to Member Registration and fill out the online form.
Get to know each other.
- Play an icebreaker game and have each member introduce themselves.
- Ask your club members what connections they have in the fashion industry. Maybe someone knows a potential guest speaker at an upcoming meeting.
- Ask them why they love fashion.
- Find out the career interests of your club members and what activities they would like to do in the club.
- Let them know about the benefits of being a Fashion Club member, and about scholarship opportunities to attend FIDM.
- Check to see if you have any new members in attendance. If you do, instruct them to register online as an official Fashion Club member. All members must register online each year they are in Fashion Club. To register their membership for the year, they must go to Member Registration and fill out the online form.
- Remind your club members that it is their responsibility to log their own attendance every time they attend a Fashion Club meeting or activity. To log their attendance, they must go to Attendance Record and fill out the online form.
- It is your responsibility to log every meeting or activity. You, as president, must go to Meeting & Activity Report and fill out the online form every time there is a Fashion Club meeting or activity. This must be done within 24 hours of the meeting.
- All new members need to register as an official FIDM Fashion Club member. To register their membership for the year, they must go to Member Registration and fill out the online form.
- Use the planning and fundraising worksheets in your President Handbook & Planner to keep yourself organized!
- Set long-term goals, such as attending DEBUT or producing a fashion show, and short-term goals, such as doing a creative DIY.
- Make sure to keep notes for yourself, so you can keep track of your Fashion Club meetings. We have provided a Meeting/Activity Journal in your Handbook for this purpose. Make sure to log them online as well. This will ensure the Fashion Club team that your club is active, and qualifies you and your club members to receive FC scholarships.
- Keep your club motivated by encouraging your members to be involved in the activities and discussions at your meetings.
- Have fun! FIDM Fashion Club is all about what you make it. Your club can be as big or small as you want it to be.
TYPES OF MEETINGS:
There are two types of Fashion Club meetings: Planning Meetings and Activity & Workshop Meetings. You’ll have a mix of these throughout the year.
Planning Meetings focus on the business side of the club. These meetings should be used to plan your monthly activities and discuss what your club needs to do to achieve its goals. Use these meetings to assign tasks and responsibilities to each member so that your projects and goals can be accomplished smoothly.
Activity Meetings are the meetings where you can make something or learn a new skill. Use your Activity Meetings to work on a creative DIY project, have guest speakers come in and talk to your group, or go on a field trip. Check out the DIYs section on FashionClub.com where we have lots of great project ideas. We also have a useful Planning/Brainstorming worksheet in the President Handbook & Planner that you can use to help you get organized.